Senior Electrical Systems Engineer
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Golden, CO, USA
Posted on Thursday, September 7, 2023
Wanna join the adventure?
We are seeking a Senior Electrical Systems Engineer to join our team of experts in satellite technology. In this role, you will be responsible for developing, integrating, and testing system-level solutions for satellite projects. You will play a pivotal role in the design, architecture, and optimization of space vehicle electrical systems. If you are a highly skilled engineer with a passion for space, we invite you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
*Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Loft, we value respectful debate and people who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes.
About the role:
- Develop, integrate, and test system-level solutions for satellite projects.
- Perform high-level functional design for space vehicle electrical systems.
- Develop the electrical system architecture, including power conditioning and distribution, command and control, data processing, and payload interfaces.
- Create system and component requirements and interconnect diagrams.
- Maintain vehicle-level performance metrics and power budgets.
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to optimize system redundancy and fault tolerance.
- Support hardware-in-the-loop development, testing, and space vehicle integration.
- Lead design reviews and champion solutions with cross-functional teams.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in high-reliability electrical system design for space systems.
- Knowledge of bus communication protocols such as CAN, Ethernet, SpaceWire, and serial communication.
- Strong understanding of power conditioning and distribution and fault tolerant communication systems
Nice to Haves:
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Experience with satellite communication systems and technologies.
- Familiarity with industry standards and best practices for space vehicle electrical systems.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Effective communication and teamwork abilities.
Some of Our Awesome Benefits:
- 100% company-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance option for employees and dependents
- Flexible Spending (FSA) and Health Savings (HSA) Accounts offered with an employer contribution to the HSA
- 100% employer paid Life, AD&D, Short-Term, and Long-Term Disability insurance
- Flexible Time Off policy for vacation and sick leave, and 12 paid holidays
- 401(k) plan and equity options
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- International exposure to our team in France
- Fully paid parental leave; 14 weeks for primary caregiver and 10 weeks for secondary caregiver
- Carrot Fertility provides comprehensive, inclusive fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits with financial support
- Off-sites and many social events and celebrations
- Relocation assistance when applicable
Who We Are
Loft Orbital builds “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites, fly customer payloads onboard, and handle entire missions from end to end - significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
Our standard interface enables us to fly multiple customer payloads on the same satellite, with capabilities such as earth imagery, weather & climate /science data collection, IoT connectivity, in-orbit demonstrations, and national security missions. Our customers trust us to manage their space infrastructure, so they can focus on what matters most to them: operating their mission and collecting their data.
At Loft, you’ll be given the autonomy and ownership to solve significant challenges, but with a close-knit and supportive team at your back. We believe that diversity and community are the foundation of an open culture. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of background and make their time at Loft the most fulfilling period of their career.
We value kind, supportive and team-oriented collaborators. It is also crucial for us that you are a problem solver and a great communicator. As our team is international, you will need strong English skills to better collaborate, easily communicate complex ideas and convey important messages.
With 3 satellites on-orbit and a wave of exciting missions launching soon, we are scaling up quickly across our offices in San Francisco, CA | Golden, CO | and Toulouse, France.
As an international company your resume will be reviewed by people across our offices so please attach a copy in English.