Senior Backend Engineer
Posted on Tuesday, August 2, 2022
Wanna join the adventure?
Loft Orbital is looking for a Backend Engineer to join our Mission Operations Services (MOS) team. This role will be working on developing all of Loft's micro-services that enables the command and control of our space infrastructure. By working on multiple types of satellite platform, the position will be closely collaborating with our other backend, flight software and embedded systems teams.
This is an exciting opportunity as it is working on cutting edge technology, helping build modern automated space infrastructure, where software is the centre piece. As well as developing our future systems, the role will also be working on real-time issues on live missions, helping to solve problems as they occur. On top of this we also offer SatDevOps training to enable this person to actually operate our spacecrafts!
Some technical information about the position
The stack we are using: Python, Django, GraphQL, Kubernetes, Cue, C++
*Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Loft, we value respectful debate and people who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes.
About This Role:
- Design the tools for operations, autopilots, activities
- Sending commands and telemetry
- Writing code - developing our services
- Interfacing with FSW/ESW/AIT teams
- Provide support with using ground software (Cockpit) internally
- S/C Ops - everybody is involved
- Web development backend frameworks experience
- API design
Nice to Haves:
- Database interactions
- Influx/Timescale DB
Some of Our Awesome Benefits:
- Equity, we want you to have an active role in our success
- Up to 35 days of Paid Time Off (vacations & RTT ) and flexible working hours, we want you to be at your best
- Health and life insurance, we care about your health
- Lunch Vouchers, because let’s be honest, we love food! (we even have a slack channel about it #loft-gourmand)
- Cross-office travel opportunities between San Francisco, Colorado, and Toulouse to learn from our differences
- Company and team off-sites and many other events to work & celebrate together
- Relocation assistance to Toulouse when applicable
Who We Are
Loft Orbital builds “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites, fly customer payloads onboard, and handle entire missions from end to end - significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
Our standard interface enables us to fly multiple customer payloads on the same satellite, with capabilities such as earth imagery, weather & climate /science data collection, IoT connectivity, in-orbit demonstrations, and national security missions. Our customers trust us to manage their space infrastructure, so they can focus on what matters most to them: operating their mission and collecting their data.
At Loft, you’ll be given the autonomy and ownership to solve significant challenges, but with a close-knit and supportive team at your back. We believe that diversity and community are the foundation of an open culture. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of background and make their time at Loft the most fulfilling period of their career.
We value kind, supportive and team-oriented collaborators. It is also crucial for us that you are a problem solver and a great communicator. As our team is international, you will need strong English skills to better collaborate, easily communicate complex ideas and convey important messages.
With 3 satellites on-orbit and a wave of exciting missions launching soon, we are scaling up quickly across our offices in San Francisco, CA | Golden, CO | and Toulouse, France.
As an international company your resume will be reviewed by people across our offices so please attach a copy in English.