Submission Underwriting Manager
High Definition Vehicle Insurance
Anderson, SC, USA · Greenville, SC, USA · Spartanburg, SC, USA
Posted on Thursday, February 8, 2024
What we do
HDVI is modern insurance for today’s fleets driven by service, safety and savings. With real-time telematics data informing our risk models, we help lower premiums, mitigate risk, engage and reward drivers and simply put, offer uncomplicated protection for trucking fleets. Our customers are small to midsize truck fleet operators who benefit from dynamic and transparent pricing – automatically reducing their premiums for safer driving. Leveraging a best-in-class partner ecosystem, HDVI combines magnitude and stability with innovation to revolutionize commercial trucking insurance.
Why work here
HDVI is building the industry-defining commercial auto insurance company for the next 100 years. The $50 billion commercial auto industry hasn’t seen real innovation for decades and is broken in a number of ways, creating a significant opportunity for HDVI.
HDVI is co-founded by a former Esurance co-founder, and has a senior management team with experience building innovative insurance and logistics companies from zero to $1B+ enterprises and deep expertise in trucking insurance. HDVI is well-funded by leading logistics and mobility-focused venture capital firms and strategic investors, including 8VC, Munich Re, and Daimler Trucks.
The HDVI Team is values-driven, data-driven, ambitious, and collaboratively minded, with a diverse background of experiences and skills in the insurance and logistics industries. We like challenges and building solutions that improve the quality of life for our customers. We offer generous benefits, including employee stock options, health, dental, vision, 401k, flexible work environment, and unlimited PTO.
About the Role
As a Submission Manager, you will have the opportunity to lead and scale a team of Underwriting Analysts while contributing to our best-in-class customer experience and success. Your passion for developing talent, training staff, creating meaningful engagement with the team, and achieving customer success will be keys to your success.
What You'll Do
- Enthusiastically leading and engaging a team of 6 experienced Underwriting Analysts
- Collaborate with the Underwriting and Business Development teams on clearance success
- Provide a best-in-class customer experience while interacting with external partners including agents and brokers
- Manage team workflow and task management
- Establish and implement training necessary to operate a team of remote Underwriting Analysts
- Handle calls and customer escalations, remove roadblocks, collaborate with others and work on issues
- Identifying training needs to meet job standards, goals, and company policies and procedures
- Partner with the leadership team to deliver strategies and projects necessary for long-term innovation in customer experience and success
What You Have
- 5-7 years of insurance agency or underwriting experience, a minimum of 3 years in people management
- Proven success Underwriting in the transportation sector, preferably trucking
- Thorough understanding of underwriting practice, workflow, and principles of the commercial insurance industry in general
- Experience building out Customer Relationship Management (CRM) workflows, previous experience with Microsoft Dynamics or HubSpot a plus
- Experience managing a remote team is a plus
- Comfort setting and executing against team goals
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Thorough critical thinker who isn’t afraid to make decisions
- Ability to work in a rapidly evolving, high-growth environment with the ability to collaborate across and within different levels of the organization
- Self-starter who independently seeks out opportunities to learn and succeed
- Bias-to-action - you’re not afraid to roll up your sleeves and stretch yourself
- Owner mentality - take accountability for your actions and outcomes
- Successfully able to work in a high-energy and equivocal start-up environment
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Active P&C Adjusters License - strongly preferred
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat
- Competitive salary & stock options
- Medical, dental & vision insurance
- 401k with company match
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible office policy
If you are interested in this position, please contact our Senior People Operations Specialist, Morgan Harrison. You can reach him at Morgan@hdvi.com.